Dr. Marina Niznik
2000-2001: Bar-Ilan University. Post doctorate research “Acculturation of Russian Adolescents in Israel”. Adviser – professor B. Spolsky.
1999: Ph.D., Institute of General Secondary Education, Russian Academy of Education. Title of Dissertation: Nationally Oriented Teaching of Russian to Hebrew Speakers.
1991: Proficiency course for new immigrant teachers. Open University, Tel Aviv, Israel
1986: M.A. in Teaching Russian as a foreign language. Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
2005 – present : Coordinator of Russian Program, School of Foreign Languages, Tel Aviv University;
1995 – 2005: Instructor of Russian as a foreign language, School of Foreign Languages, Tel Aviv University;
2009 - 2019: Lecturer, BA Clali, Tel Aviv university
2006 - 2008: Lecturer, School of Cultural Studies, Tel Aviv University;
1992 - 1995: Teacher of English to Naale students, Amit High School, Givat HaShmuel
1991-1992: Teacher of English, Yahalom secondary school, Ramat-Gan
1986-1989: Teacher of Russian as a foreign language, Moscow Institute of Railway Engineering, Moscow
- Russian as a foreign language, elementary and intermediate levels.
- Russian as a heritage language
- A Comparative Analysis of Hebrew Translations of Russian Literary Texts
- Introduction to 19th century Russian literature
- The Tsarist Russia in the literary works of N. Gogol
- "Here devil is fighting God" – the "fantastic realism" in the novels of Dostoevsky
- The Russian Aristocrat Culture of the Early 19th Century (based on Yevgény Onégin by A. S. Pushkin)"
- " I am Bored with Building Socialism: The Post-Revolution Russian Reality in the Novels of Ilya Ilf and Yevgeny Petrov, (based on The Little Golden Calf and Twelve Chairs
- M.Bulgakov – a philosopher, a historian and a writer.
- "Nobody knows the truth": questions without answers in the works of A. Chechov.
- Research of linguistic-didactic problems of teaching Russian as foreign and heritage language
- Socio-cultural and linguistic aspects of Russian language in Israel
- Cultural adaptation of Russian-speaking immigrants in Israel
Grants and Scholarships
- 2006 – 2010 Monitoring anti-Semitism in Russian media (together with Boris Morozov), Nadav fund, Israel
- 2008-2010. Writing a Heritage Language Textbook (head of the staff), "Russkii Mir" fund, Russia. (Part 1)
- 2010-2012 Writing a Heritage Language Textbook (head of the staff), "Russkii Mir" fund, Russia.(Part 2)
- 2009-2010 "The Study of Immigrant Languages in Israeli Schools" (together with Malka Muchnik), Ministry of Absorption, Israel
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
(with Malka Muchnik et.el.) Elective Language Learning and Policy in Israel. Palgrave Macmillan, London, 2016
- Let's Speak Russian. A Course Book for Beginners. Mansohn House Press. Tel Aviv, 2012
- Russian without Borders. (Introduction, Grammar, Literature). An Educational Complex for Heritage Language Learners. Intermediate level. Mansohn House Press. Tel Aviv, 2009; Zlatoust, S.-Peterburg, 2012
- Russian without Boders-2. An Educational Complex for Heritage Language Learners. Advanced level. (Grammar, Literature). Mansohn House Press, 2012; Zlatoust, S.-Peterburg, 2014
- In Russian about everything. Zlatoust, S.-Peterburg, 2016
- “The Russian Language as a Base Factor: The Formation of Russian Community in Israel”. In: Munz , R., Ohliger, R. (eds.), Diasporas and Ethnic Migrants: Germany, Israel and Post-Soviet Successor States in Comparative Perspective. Frank Cass, 2003, London/Portland,OR, pp. 355-369.
- “The Dilemma of Russian-Born Adolescents in Israel”. In: Ben Rafael, E., Gorny,Y. and Ro'I, Y. (eds.), Contemporary Jewries: Convergence and Divergence. Brill, 2003, Leiden/Boston, pp. 235-252.
- “Specifics of the Cultural Integration of the Russian-Speaking Immigrants in Israel”. Diasporas, Independent Academic Journal, 1, 2003, pp. 48-67.
- “Comparative Analysis of Russian and Hebrew Languages as a Basis of Teaching Russian to Hebrew Speakers”. (Hebrew) Hed Haulpan Hahadash, 85, 2003, pp. 65-73.
- “Acculturation of Russian Adolescents in Israel. In: J.Mac.Swan and M.C.Alister (eds.) Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Bilingualism. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press, 2004, pp. 1703-21
- "How to be an Alien? Cross-Cultural Transition of Russian-Speaking Youth in Israeli High Schools” Israel Studies Forum, Vol.23 (1), May 2008, pp.66-84
- "Teaching Russian in Israel – Challenging the System". In: M. Konigshtein (ed.) In:“Russian Face of Israel – Features of Social Portrait” Gesharim, Jerusalem – Mosti Kul’turi, Moskva, 2007,pp. 403-420
- With Vladimir ( Ze’ev) Khanin . "Strengthening the Jewish Identity through Informal Education: Analyzing JAFI Youth Camps Experience@. In: Vladimir (Ze'ev) Khanin, et al (eds.), Constructing the National Identity: Jewish Education in Russia Twenty Years after the End of the Cold War .Jerusalem – Ramat-Gan: The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora, Bar-Ilan University, 2008, pp. 193-210.
- With Boris Morozov. The Second Lebanon War as Reflected in the Russian Press – Moreshet, Journal for the Study of the Holocaust and Antisemitism, N 4 (87), 2009, pp.158-182
- With Boris Morozov. Jewish Community and Electoral Campaigns in Russia (2007-2008). - Moreshet. Journal for the Study of the Holocaust and Antisemitism, vol. 11, 2014, pp.183-204.
- Cultural Practices and Preferences of Russian Youth in Israel. Israel Affairs, Vol. 17 (1), January 2011, pp.89-107
- The State of Russian Language Today: Editor's Forum. Russian Journal of Communication. Vol. 5 (1) 2013, pp.80-82
- "Russian Language in Israel: is it on Death Bed or still Alive?" In: M.Rovinskaya (ed.) The Russian Language outside the Nation . Zlatoust – S.Peterburg, 2013, pp. 106-128
- With M. Perotto "We speak Russian from the Childhood: Investigating the Non-formal Learning of Russian in Italy and in Israel. In: A. Nikunlassi and E.Protasova (eds.) Instrumentarium of Russian Linguistics: Errors and Multilingualism. Slavica Helsingiensia 45 , 2014, pp.75-95
- With M. Perotto "Are they still Russian-speaking? Comparing the heritage learners of Russian in non-formal frameworks in Israel and Italy." In: E.Babatsouli and D.Ingram (eds.) Proceedings of the International Symposium on Monolingual and Bilingual Speech, Chania ,Greece,2015, pp. 252-265.